The bump feed issue in your string trimmer generally shows up when it is kept in the closet, unused for a long time. Even though in the initial stage, the trimmer starts fine and the string looks good, you face difficulties once you start operating with the trimmer in your lawn. You can see small pieces of the line breaking apart after a few minutes of working and this is the most common issue faced with a string trimmer. If you continue trimming, the line becomes shorter with the time of use and eventually wears off the device and that too in a quick span of time. You can get more information about String trimmer on homegearable.com.
To fix this issue and troubleshoot the same, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Primarily you need to select the line based on your machine’s usability. You can find all the relevant information in the manual that came along with the equipment. You must get hold of the exact line as mentioned in the manual to get rid of the machine from getting overheated and damaged.
- You must choose the line’s diameter based on the size of the device’s engine and only the one that is supported by the machine. There are a variety of options available in the marketplace from which you can choose the best fit for the device in the form of circular, crossed, multi-sided, and square lines.
- You need to remove the trimmer head of the string by removing the screws that keep it in place on the bump or the knob. Followed by removing the spring and the reel from the interior.
- You need to discard the existing line and remove it. You must clean all the residues in the panel and chamber before fitting the new line on the spool.
- You must cut the line in two separate pieces of ten inches each and join them side by side which you must enter in the holes of the reel and then pull them towards the direction of the spool till the end leaving out only a few inches.
- You must insert the remaining part in the other hole and pull it to make it tight. Robustly placing the line helps in keeping the line in place and prevents loosening.
- You must evenly wrap the line around the reel towards the direction of the arrow on the trimmer bump.
- You must now feed the line by reinserting the existing spring in the same manner inside the hole. You can do this by locating the shaft or the eye on the head of the spring. You must push the string through the holes for placing it in position.
- Once you pace all in their original and relevant positions, you need to line up all the slots on the reel according to the eye on the head.
- You now need to press the spring and place the knob or the bump as it was earlier on the head of the trimmer and put the screws back in position to complete the final step.
- You must firmly pull the remaining line out to make sure that it gets released from the slots. On proper alignment, the trimmer will be set, and the troubleshooting process for fixing the bump feed ends.
The brittleness of the line for the string trimmer increases with time. The increase in the brittleness gradually causes the line to become broken into multiple pieces which become visible after you use a trimmer for a long span of time. The adequate troubleshooting that you can perform to eliminate this hassle readily is to replace the line and increase the machine’s effectiveness to the fullest.